Registration for ASEAN DATA SCIENCE Explorers 2021 now open!
Designed to promote and enhance the ASEAN community amongst today’s youth through digital literacy intervention, the ASEAN Data Science Explorers is back in 2021 with another analytics competition between students of the 10 ASEAN nations and offering prizes up for grabs!
To unlock the youth’s potential and create a positive social impact in Southeast Asia, ASEAN Foundation and SAP announced a partnership in 2017 to run a flagship program, ASEAN Data Science Explorers (ASEAN DSE). This initiative has educated more than 16,000 young people across 370 institutes of higher learning in the 10 ASEAN countries to increase their digital literacy and cultivate a greater sense of responsibility and ownership of the region’s future.
By using the SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC), the competition calls for data-driven proposals, targeting ASEAN Nationals with the age of 15 to 30 years taking full-time education at educational institutions across the 10 ASEAN Member States, to develop solutions towards ASEAN growth and development to improve people’s lives. The proposals highlight pressing social and economic issues in ASEAN across the six selected United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
The objectives of the ASEANDSE are multi-fold and aligned to the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC) and ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). The ASEANDSE also has a training programme segment, which aims to build ICT capacity for youths in the region, bridging the digital divide and prepare them for the Digital Economy, supporting the ASEAN Digital Masterplan 2025 and ASEAN Work Plan on Youth and Education 2021-2025.
Data Analytics Storyboard
Each team is required to design an innovative and implementable solution based on data-driven insights to tackle ASEAN socio-economic issues in one or more of these thematic areas:
- SDG 6 – Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG 7 – Affordable and Clean Energy
- SDG 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG 13 – Climate Action
Your innovative idea will be judged on the best all-rounded concept. Entries will be judged on the creativity, originality, feasibility and the team’s ability to demonstrate the implementation of the solution and relevant stakeholders to be engaged in the implementation.
For example, if you are proposing for a mobile application to solve one or more of the UN SDGs, we highly encourage you to design a prototype that demonstrates how the application may meet the needs outlined in your problem statement.
If you are proposing for the implementation of a policy, we highly encourage you to demonstrate how you plan for the policy to be advocated to multi-stakeholders and institutionalized.
Data Analytics Storyboard Requirement
- Your storyboard must be in the PDF, landscape format
- Your storyboard must contain charts/graphs/diagrams which are clearly visible and readable
- Images inclusive in the storyboard must be capped at 2MB each and clearly visible and readable
- Your storyboard must comprise Max. 10 pages including cover page but excluding References page
- Cover page of your storyboard must include: (1). Storyboard Title, (2). Team Name, (3). Institution, (4). Represented Country, and (5). Storyboard Description
- Your storyboard includes References as a closing page
- Once you are finished with your storyboard, submit it to https://aseandse.org during a submission period