ASEAN TVET Council
What is the ASEAN TVET Counil?
The ATC is a regional, inter-sectoral TVET body tasked with the coordination, research and development and monitoring of regional education programmes to support the advancement of TVET in the region.
Has the ATC been officially endorsed by all ASEAN member states?
Yes. The ATC has been officially adopted by all ASEAN leaders at the 36th ASEAN Summit on June 26 2020.
Who is the ATC?
The ATC is a cross-sectoral body comprised of representatives from:
- Ministry of Commerce/Industry/Trade, Ministry of Labour, and Ministry of Education , and other relevant ministriesof all ASEAN member states
- Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) Secretariat,
- ASEAN Future Workforce Council (AFWC), ASEAN Confederation of Employers (ACE), and ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC).
The Chair of the ATC is rotated among ASEAN member states biennially and alphabetically.
What is the vision of the ATC?
Advance TVET in ASEAN towards:
- competitive human resources;
- market-responsive workforce skills;
- greater employment opportunities locally and overseas; and
- higher productivity in the digital economyand human-centered future of worktowards a resilient and innovative ASEAN Community.
What will the ATC do?
The ATC will serve as a cross-pillar/cross-sectoral coordination mechanism on TVET and shall:
- Provide policy recommendations pertaining to the quality of TVET and its relevance to current and future industry requirements;
- Facilitate mutual learning and innovationsthrough sharing of good practices on TVET-related programmes;
- Develop a comprehensive, integrated, and inclusive regional plan on TVET;and
- Support regional knowledge management on TVET.
How does the ATC fit into the existing ASEAN TVET governance landscape?
The council will improve the coordination between existing ASEAN bodies, strategies and work-plans. The ASEAN Human Resoruce Development Declaration and Roadmap is an additional ASEAN initiative to achieve greater policy coherence. The ATC is tasked to jointly coordinate the implementation of this declaration and roadmap.
Where can I learn more about the ATC?
To read the full terms of reference of the ATC, click here.